FORMATION & COMMUNITY
Every Sunday is "Welcome Home Sunday" at St. Margaret's! We love welcoming visitors and new members, reconnecting with friends and working together to bring renewed life to communities near and far.
Join us as we learn and grow together!
Note: Education for children, teens and adults is offered on an open-enrollment basis. Check our website calendar and monthly articles for current offerings.
• Sunday School: St. Margaret’s offers Christian Education opportunities on Sundays at 9-9:45 am. We use the Sparkhouse curriculum for younger kids. This is a child-friendly, Bible-centered Sunday School program that has children concentrate on one Bible story for a four- or five-week series, using approaches such as art, Bible skills and games, computer lab, cooking, creative drama, music, science, and/or video. Sundays off coincide with school vacations.
• Confirmation Prep Class: Pre-teens and teens are welcome to our new Comfirmation Prep Class. Not all kids in this class are ready for Confirmation, but they're ready to explore their faith in a more grown-up way. Please contact Janet or Karen if you'd like more information.
• Thursdays at St. Margaret's: Worship + Bible Study/Book Group: Join this fun group at 10 am in the Undercroft for a one-hour, lay-led Bible Study or Book Study. No special knowledge is needed, just as inquiring heart and mind. All are welcome as we learn and share.
We care for our community.
• Pastoral Care: St. Margaret's clergy and lay leaders work together to support the needs of our extended community and surrounding neighborhood. Clergy are available for your pastoral care and spiritual needs. Lay Eucharistic Ministers visit those in need of prayer, comfort and/or Communion. Please notify the parish office of a hospitalization, pastoral emergency, or death. Laying On of Hands and Healing Prayer, as well as the Rite of Reconciliation of a Penitent may also be scheduled with the clergy.
• Prayer: Our Intercessory Prayer Group prays regularly for those who request prayers. You need not be a member of the church to ask. We also welcome requests from families of those interred at St. Margaret's Cemetery on our grounds. Please let us know how we can help.
Community spirit is alive year-round.
• Fall Fair: Our annual fundraising event, the Fall Fair, was held on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016. We had a wonderful time welcoming visitors from all over Long Island and showing them our beautiful church. There were plenty of raffles, refreshments, gift baskets, attic treasures and new offerings from vendors. Our grounds are mostly flat and our property is pet-friendly.
• Coffee Hour: Join us in the Undercroft each Sunday after the 10 a.m. service for some special St. Margaret's hospitality. It's a great place to get to know our parishioners and for us to get to know you! All are welcome.
• Lunch Bunch: On the third Wednesday of each month, we get together in the Undercroft for a brown bag, bring-your-own-beverage lunch social. It's a great mid-week opportunity to catch up with long-time friends and meet new ones. We encourage you to attend and to bring a friend along, too!
• Annual Parish Picnic: Our Parish Picnic marks the end of the program year and includes games, food and beverages, and even a homemade water slide for all ages. The Parish Picnic is a Sunday full of fellowship and fun. Our picnic is held every June, and is sometimes preceded by "Mass on the Grass," a popular outdoor service (weather permitting).
• Seasonal Hospitality: St. Margaret’s is a place of active fellowship, with a full slate of seasonal get-togethers, potlucks and parties. We start Lent with a Shrove Tuesday pancake supper and finish with a two-acre Easter Egg Hunt for kids. There's lots to do all year round.
• High Tea: This spring social is always a sold-out affair. Ladies of the parish dress up, invite family and friends, and enjoy tea, scones and light finger foods. Our 2016 High Tea was May 14. Lovely boutiques showcased gifts for your special someone. Tickets ($25 donation) are sold in advance.
Raffle drawings, a door prize and a hat prize contribute to the fun. 10% of the net proceeds are designated for outreach to the wider community.
• Blessing of the Animals: Each October, St. Margaret's honors St. Francis of Assisi by holding a worship service on our beautiful property and by blessing animals. St. Francis' life exemplified harmony between humans and nature, and our worship will do the same.
Clergy bless household pets and affirm the special relationship that animals can hold in our lives. The community is invited to bring leashed or crated small pets. You, your pets, your family and your friends are all welcome to participate in this unique worship service.